Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Pikes Peak Ascent is today. The only thing crazier to me than running 13 miles uphill (8000 feet of vertcal) is what they do tomorrow, which is run up AND back for the Pikes Peak Marathon. My niece and son climbed up and back 16 years ago (an all day project, not like these races), and I still remember them being comatose (ok, how about just less than fully functional?) for 3 days trying to recover. She enjoyed it so much she talked her husband into reliving the experience last week. It's nuts! Well, at least to an old fat guy like me.
Last nights weather reminded me again why the inspectors all tell you NOT to have refrigerators and freezers plugged into GFI (Ground Fault Interupt) outlets. One of my outdoor recepticals must have gotten wet (wow did it rain and thunder, it seemed to last for hours!), and it caused the circuit to trip, shutting off the refrig and freezer (see how I am, do as I say, not as I do...) that I have always had plugged into the garage GFI. Fortunately we were home and were able to reset the outlet a very short time later, but a freezer full of food can be a big problem if you are gone when such things happen.
It was nice to see some good economic news in the paper this morning. 4.3% unemployement and 2500 new jobs added since last year at this time seem good to me anyway. While the higher paying jobs of the tech sector and construction are both off, at least there are jobs to be had!