Friday, August 15, 2008

Tonight the snow level is supposed to drop to 10,000 feet, and the rain and clouds we have here today make me believe it. We were up in Summit County on Monday, and it turns out we also got a dusting in the high country last Sunday night. This shot is from the top of Mount Royal, above Frisco, and is of Grays and Torreys peaks, both 14ers on the Continental Divide.
We try and get away just before school starts every year for my wife's birthday, and it is usually Breckenridge, with activities spread around Summit County. We aren't "hard core" hikers, but thought we'd try the Mount Royal trail, which you can pick up in downtown Frisco. The views were well worth it, and I'll try and mix in a smattering of photos over the next week or so. More hardcore hikers consider this a tourist hike, at only 3 hours round trip, but it is quite steep, and different sources call this either 1350 or 1600 ft of vertical and frankly I can still feel it today, so maybe I'm really just a tourist anyway? We really enjoyed it, and after all, what is wrong with being a tourist, even in your own back yard? For me, this is part of why we live here.
One of my favorite sayings is this: When you buy a house in Colorado Springs, you get the rest of the state of Colorado as your back yard!

No comments: