Friday, October 10, 2008


One of the reasons I like working with Colorado Springs local builders is that I like how they think. There is a commitment to community, to the customer and to their suppliers that gives you that "warm fuzzy" feeling you are working with someone who cares. A case in point was a conversation I had yesterday with Lee Bolin, president of Saddletree Homes. We had a lunch engagement we were rescheduling, and in the course of the conversation, he mentioned they were dropping their prices by 5% for a while, essentially to "employee pricing" levels, to ensure continuity of work for his subcontractors and employees. His comment to me that hit me hard was this (paraphrased): When you've got 20 plus years of experience working with the same subs, you have a commitment to their well being as well. That is what I want for my clients. These are tough times for builders, and I respect that kind of commitment.

This was contrasted with a client who called yesterday, to tell me that the large national builder who had built their home had abandoned all responsibility for the covenants and / or HOA for their area, and wouldn't even give them a contact for someone who might be able to help with covenant issues. This builder had closed all of their local operations as soon as the economy softened, along with several others.
Today's photo is of a hike we took Saturday out of Frisco. Hiking in Summit County is really accessible, and there are so many great trails, it is hard to pick one sometimes!

No comments: