Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Today's paper had an interesting article about graduation rates of Colorado Springs area high schools. It was interesting to me that the districts with the top test scores (12, 38 and 20) also had the highest graduation rates (typically mid 90's). Also, a couple of districts that have typically suffered in the area of test scores also had lower graduation rates (2 and 11). The good news was that almost every district in the city had graduation rates above the national average (except 2 and 11) See complete details at The Gazette.
Speaking of Colorado Springs area schools, many have ballot initiatives, and that brings up the story of when I tried to vote earlier today. The Chapel Hills Mall has early voting (along with lots of other goodies, including a Department of Motor Vehicles office), and since it is right across the street from my office, I thought it would be a quick stop. WRONG! I think everyone in the city had decided to vote today, I've never seen lines like that in a regular polling place! So I grabbed a sample ballot, and figure I'll either go again at a better time, or just vote at my precinct on the 4th.
The ballot itself is huge this year. Part of this is because of something we call TABOR, or the Taxpayers Bil of Rights, that requires all tax (or spending) increases of any kind to be voted on by everyone. It kind of hamstrings the state legislature, and taxes are not popular here, but it makes for some very ugly elections sometimes, with initiatives that are so complicated it would take an hour to vote if you had not prepared in advance. I think I would prefer we let the elected officials do their job, but I suppose if we did that, who knows how high taxes would be. As it is, our taxes here (income, sales and property) are pretty low. I am excited that my youngest kids are voting in their first presidential election this year!

No comments: