Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The financial markets always surprise me. Because almost all major news is "discounted" in the markets before it happens (translation: bets are placed), when actual news happens like todays rate cut, the market seems to "flip out" if it doesn't match their bets (translation: lot of people were betting the Fed would cut rates by 1/2 % instead of the actual 1/4% they chose). No matter how you slice it, lower rates are good for real estate, so I'm happy. Well, almost. Mortgage rates actually jumped since last week back into the low 6's, apparently because some folks felt it would be better to own stocks than bonds when rates might be falling. Argh.
I'm not going to devote a lot of space to the morbid details of the tragedy we just experienced at New Life Church, but I have to say I was SOO proud of Jeanne Assam the security guard, and her brave action. Larry Bourbonnais also acted fearlessly, and between them saved a lot of lives. I know it sounds weird to have armed guards at church, but in the this day and age, it is the prudent thing to do, and virtually all large public gatherings have them. I for one, am reassured that our church leaders had that foresight. Tomorrow night we have a congregational gathering, and hopefully this will be a time for mourning and healing as well.

No comments: